Crowley County has been awarded $9,000,000 of Private Activity Bonds to finance the construction of a waste-to-energy/pollution abatement facility on a cattle feedyard in Ordway. The Ordway Feedyard generates over 30,000 tons of manure annually, which is scrapped out of the pens on a daily basis and left in large piles waiting to be trucked off-site and spread over crop land. The traffic, dust, odor and air pollution it generates is a significant burden to the area.
Kingston Energy would use PAB financing to install Agricultural Waste Solution’s "Gas Production Module," which is a closed loop, low emissions system designed to transform the waste stream into clean biosyngas, water, and ash. The ash captures many of the nutrients from the manure, thereby reducing nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and other nutrients which can overburden soil and runoff into surface and ground waters. Both the ash and the wastewater (after further processing) can be used as fertilizer. They may use taxable bonds &/or cash equity to finance the rest of the facility. The "Liquid Fuel Module" will convert the biosyngas into renewable diesel fuel, which will be sold to the marketplace through Tenaska Biofuels LLC in Omaha, NE.
The Department of Local Affairs, in accordance with the provisions of C.R.S. 24-32-1711, is reallocating $7,120,080 from the 2009 Private Activity Bond Statewide Balance to Grand County for the purpose of providing mortgage credit certificates:
Grand County has been awarded an allocation of PABs for Mortgage Credit Certificates (MCC) for use in both Grand and Routt Counties. Instead of issuing bonds, they would elect to use the bond allocation as MCCs for qualified first-time homebuyers. Buyers would be able to take 20% of their interest payments as a tax credit instead of as a tax deduction (the remaining 80% would be deductable). Grand County first received an allocation of PABs for their MCC program in 2001, then again in 2003 and in 2006. The Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA) has administered the program since its inception, and will continue to administer it.