ARAPAHOE AND DOUGLAS COUNTIES TO HOST
FAIR HOUSING FORUM: RIGHTS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND RESOURCES
April is Fair Housing Month, a time to celebrate the progress made in providing housing opportunities to every citizen of this nation, regardless of race, gender, color, nationality, religion, family status, or disability.
It is also a time to acknowledge the fair housing challenges that still remain, and collectively commit to finding viable solutions to those challenges.
Illegal housing discrimination can take many forms, some quite subtle:
· realtors showing apartments or homes only in certain neighborhoods,
· advertising housing only to preferred groups of people
· refusals to make reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities
Douglas and Arapahoe Counties are collaborating to raise awareness of this critical issue and to help educate our citizens of their rights and responsibilities through an all-day Fair Housing Forum.
Speakers include representatives from:
· U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
· The Colorado Civil Rights Division
· BBC Research and Consulting
· The Law Firm of Hopkins Tschetter Sulzer
· Community Housing Services
Special guests include HUD Region 8 Director Rick Garcia who will introduce General Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, Bryan Greene, who will address the forum during the plenary luncheon.
The Forum will be held on April 29, 2010, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., with an evening session from 5:30-7:00 p.m. for renters and homeowner’s associations, in the Arapahoe County Building, located at 1690 W. Littleton Blvd. in the City of Littleton. A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. RSVP by April 27, is required. Please specify attendance at the day or evening session, and if you require special accommodations for this event. RSVP with Pam DeBoth, at 303-738-7926, or by email to PDeboth@co.arapahoe.co.us.